Monday, July 7, 2008

Summertime

"Oh, what do you do in the summertime? When all the world is green?
Do you fish in a stream, or lazily dream on the banks as the clouds go by?
Is that what you do? So do I?

Oh what do you do in the summertime? When all the world is green?
Do you swim in a pool, to keep yourself cool, or swing in a tree up high?
Is that what you do? So do I!

Oh what do you do in the summertime when all the world is green?
Do you march in parades, or drink lemonades, or count all the stars in the sky?
Is that what you do? So do I!"

This song written by Dorothy S. Anderson is the childrens' song I think about when I think of summer music. (Along with patriotic music, of course.)

So let's hear it. What do YOU do in the summertime?

In case anyone is curious as to what made me think of this - today I used a word that all truly Southern folks know and understand. Someone asked me how the weather was in NC today. I said MUGLY! For you poor folks not blessed with Southern roots - MUGGY and UGLY combined makes MUGLY. This is the heat of the day after a few rounds of thunderstorms during the night. As the day heats up, the water-soaked ground tries to get rid of the water that is drowning it. The air can't handle all that water to make it evaporate quickly and the area we get to walk around in is seriously MUGLY.

So, what do I do in the summertime? When all the world is green?
I read books in my room, my A/C on zoom, a glass of ice water too.
Is that what you do? Tell me too.

No comments: