Thursday, October 16, 2008

War and Loved Ones, Prayer and GO VOTE

This is from Words to Live By from a local radio station and I wanted to share.

Email from Adam:
"I listen to you guys every chance I get, and thought since y’all were so supportive of us soldiers, you might like to hear about one of many that are about to leave families behind to go to Iraq again.

I returned home in 2006 after driving supply convoys all over Iraq in a freightliner truck for a year, and life was going great. Bought my own home, and met a fantastic woman in 2007 and fell in love. She has a beautiful 5 year old daughter that I love as my own. We were enjoying being a family, and I was quickly learning how to be a dad.

In March of 2008, the greatest blessing ever was given to us. My son James Wesley was born. That boy is all I think about every day. I cherish every minute I get to spend with him. I was still in the National Guard, and while at my annual 2 week training at Ft. Bragg, my name was read off of a list of soldiers that were to deploy back to Iraq the beginning of next year. Our lives and plans got flipped upside down. We began talking about getting married, but decided that there wasn't time to plan the ceremony that we both wanted, nor did we have the time to raise the money we would need to have the ceremony. While away in San Antonio, TX for a school to learn the new job the Army has decided I needed to learn so I could go back to Iraq, my son began sitting up by himself and rolled over on his own for the first time. I'm sure this is just one of his "first" that I am going to miss, and while many parents probably wouldn't be affected by missing those particular milestones, it hit me hard. I already know I will be in California training on his first birthday, and no clue where I will be when he says his first words or takes his first steps. After this happened, I decided that regardless of the time frame, my girlfriend and I would get married. We have planned out a wedding, and though it's probably going to be very bare minimal and pretty rinky-dink looking, it will get the job done, and I can't wait for it. Most of my fellow soldiers that I wanted to be at the wedding and at my bachelor party if I ever find the time to have one, are not here, they're off at schools learning their new jobs. But 3 guys that were my closest friends throughout my career in the National Guard, will be there as my groomsmen. This is going to be a wonderful day I'm sure of it, and I would like to ask everyone to pray for me that it is, and more importantly to remember to pray for me and my fellow soldiers and families over the next year. I tell alot of people this one thing when they ask about how we survived driving the roads over there. Before every convoy, we would all meet in front of the first vehicle, and one of us would lead the group in a prayer. That's not something you see on the news, nor does the Army teach it when training soldiers how to drive the roads, but it was the tactic that I'm sure brought us home with no injuries in the whole company, and over a couple million miles on the road.

Now I'm sure my story doesn't sound too bad to some, there are plenty of soldiers out there who have it worse than me. But I just wanted to provide a real example of what soldiers go through in order to protect your rights and freedoms. As me and my family go through all of this, it angers me to hear that there are so many Americans that still have not registered to vote. Why? Am I leaving my family for nothing? Are there that many people out there that don't care for their rights? If you don't like your rights, join the military and you can learn to live with less of them. People it's not a hard process to register, and it would make soldiers that are away from their loved ones during the upcoming holidays feel much better about why they are gone. Also, if you don't vote, then what right do you have to complain about anything over the next 4 years? None. One thing I enjoy about this time and being in the military, is what other job do you know that gives you a chance to have a say in who your boss will be? That's why I'm going to vote.Oh, and regardless of which candidate gets picked, we've already been told that it won't affect me going to Iraq or not. I'm going no matter who gets elected."


~Sgt. Adam Rose

Nuff Said

No comments: