Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Leap Day - Leap Year

Today I want to remember someone who was more like a brother than he was an uncle. He died on February 29th in 1996 so I thought it would be appropriate. I remember my dad's youngest brother living in the apartment next door with their mother (Mama Ferrell) but he was an old person (not much older than me really but, hey, he was in high school - that's old to a little kid.)

My first vivid memory of him should have caused nightmares but didn't. I guess I knew he loved me so it really wasn't as bad as it sounds. I had a loose tooth. So loose that it was literally hanging on by a thread. I must have complained about it one too many times because he had told me to "just pull the tooth" for the thousandth time and he had had enough. He chased me first, tackled me and fought with me until he came away with my tooth. I think it fell out but I never let him forget it. I was with him in the hospital not long before he died and we talked about it. He remembered it too. He said I was a pain in the behind and was lucky to make it to adulthood. Gee, sounds like an older brother, doesn't it?

I always felt close to Verdell (aka JV). When he got back from the Navy, I used to go visit with him and his wife. I was soooooo excited when they were going to have a baby. I almost felt like Felicia was my own baby doll - just for my enjoyment. When they divorced and Verdell needed help with Felicia, I was right there. I spent almost as much time with them for about a year as I did at home. The day that I found chicken pox on Felicia and the friend (Rose?) who had spent the night with her was a very traumatic day for me.

Once they moved to Charlotte, I didn't get to see them very much. It was really nice when I grew up enough to be able to go and visit and get to know Verdell - adult to adult. He was just like me in a lot of ways. He was stubborn, bull-headed, opinionated and extremely loyal.

So - while there are lots of memories of my favorite uncle - I'll end with this. Verdell was a character. Crazy, wonderful and yes, he was a pain in the behind - however - he was my favorite pain in the behind.

Now for the strange happenstance. This past Friday - leap day - my only uncle on my mom's side of the family died. How's THAT for a strange coincidence?

No comments: