Friday, September 5, 2008

Gender Issues

I'm not really sure how to phrase what I want to say but I'll give it a try. I have been the token female for a company before. I have been in several non-traditional positions and really don't think of myself being overly sensitive about any of it. However, in all of the non-traditional jobs I've been in, the men try to make things easier for me "because I'm a girl." Today I felt very uncomfortable about the whole issue. First I felt that I was being "put up with" and not really part of the team. Next I was given a task that is so obviously busy work for the girls while the real men do the real work. I actually understand the task because the other two females are both pregnant and can't lift heavy things and shouldn't be pulling around pallets and so forth. Still, I can do more than they can yet I'm put on the easy task with them. I guess that kinda works out because I'm there to lift the heavy boxes and help them that way. The last straw was when someone came up to us "girls" and told us we needed to train for another task. The way it was presented it felt like the girls in the department could do this and the guys were not mentioned. It turned out that the guys will be training for that also, it was just the way it was presented that felt like a gender specific issue.

Anyway - I want to do everything I am physically able to do and not be pampered. I know these guys are raised to take care of the women but I'm capable and should be allowed to participate in the work that is being done.

I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

No comments: