Sunday, June 29, 2008

Grandmama

My mother as a grandmother was out of this world awesome. She loved to be with each child, alone and all together. She loved to hug and kiss and just watch each of them to make herself believe that it wasn't a dream. She would play on the floor with them when they were little even though she must have been in pain from the arthritis. She was a hands-on grandmother and was proud of her little ones.

When it came time to choose what I wanted to be called as a grandmother, I couldn't think of anything more fitting than "Grandmama". It turns out that it wasn't allowed because they already had a Grandmama. Oh well, Gramama turned out to be my name instead. I guess they were right - there was only one Grandmama.

NOTE: I will not remind my children that MY grandfather was Papa and when it came time for my father to be a grandfather, he thought it was an honor to be called Papa.

No comments: